This report make several recommendations that should be at the heart of tackling the NHS workforce crisis. Below, it explore key recommendations from each of the areas it looked at – but there are many more in the full report.
There is no quick fix, and it doesn’t come for free, but there is a series of sensible and important steps which – together – could close the workforce gap.
1. Offer cost of living grants to support nursing students
2. Increase pay after the current deal
3. Make clear the universal offer to staff
4. Expand the role of teams in general practice
5. Increase ethical international recruitment in the short term
6. Tackle recruitment and retention in social care